Alliance Bank has been a strong banking presence in Northeast Texas since its opening in the late 1920s. Although the name has changed from Sulphur Springs State Bank to Alliance Bank since we first opened our doors, our dedication to providing a high level of customer service has always remained the same.
Over the last century, we’ve seen many changes in the dairy industry, as well as the banking industry, and met them head on with new products and services. Those innovative products, such as our Freedom Checking account or agriculture loans, and timesaving services, like mobile banking and deposit, are what keep our customers coming back to bank with local people they can trust.
We at Alliance Bank have made a commitment to discover and meet the specific needs of the communities we serve — and will continue to do so as time goes on. Please reach out to us for all of your banking needs.
On June 13, 1927, then Sulphur Springs State Bank was chartered by two of the largest shareholders of First State Bank which had been closed for insolvency. The original Sulphur Springs State Bank opened at the Southwest corner of Main and Gilmer Streets with Jim Lindley as President and Charles Ashcroft as Vice President. The first year the Bank turned a profit and paid a dividend, a trend that has been sustained for 90 years.
In 1934 a fire at the original location facilitated the move of the Bank to its current location on the North side of the Square. In 1937, when the Carnation Milk Plant opened and began buying grade A milk, the Bank recognized the potential impact that the dairy industry could have on Hopkins County. To encourage cotton farmers to convert some land to pasture, the Bank made attractive loans on dairy cows to anyone contracted to sell to Carnation. This started a very strong relationship between the Bank and the Dairy Industry that remains to this day.
Sulphur Springs State Bank began serving Greenville and Hunt County in July of 1990. It expanded into Wolfe City and Commerce in August of 1993. In February 1996, the bank purchased Colonial Bank of Greenville and now has (2) branches serving that community. In October of 1996, Sulphur Springs State Bank officially changed its name to Alliance Bank as it began expanding its footprint outside of Sulphur Springs and Hopkins County. Alliance Bank completed construction of its branch in Rockwall, Texas in October 2005. In November of 2015, Alliance Bank opened an additional branch in North Rockwall and a Loan Production Office (LPO) in McKinney, Texas in January 2016. Additionally, the Bank owns and operates Galyean Insurance Agency and Alliance Bank’s brokerage company-Alliance Bank Financial Services.
Presidents and CEOs, Then and Now
JC Lindley | 1927-1943
Charles F. Ashcroft | 1943-1946
George S. Prim | 1946-1963
L.F. Bridges Jr. | 1963-1978
W. Gerald Prim | 1978-1984
L.F. Bridges III* | 1984-2004
B.J. Williams | 1996-1999
Thomas C. Sellers* | 2004-Present
*Denotes President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO)